There are several ways you can file a police report:
- Online (E-file)
- At our Station
- In person; Officer comes to your location
ONLINE POLICE REPORTS
The online citizen police report system allows you to submit a report immediately and print a copy of the police report (free of charge in most cases).
You can file the following type of reports using the Online program:
- Telephone Harassment
- Child Custody violations
- Identify Theft
- Lost Property
- Minor Traffic Accidents
- Restraining Order Violations
- Credit Card Fraud
- Theft from Vehicles
- Theft of Mail
- Property Damage (Vandalism)
Online Reporting permitted if:
- This is not an Emergency
- This incident occurred within the Hawthorne Police Department City limits
- There are no known suspects. A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the suspect vehicle (An exception is for Child Custody violations).
- Online reports will not be investigated
- If any type of investigation or follow up is needed, DO NOT use the online reporting system
- Filing a false police report is a crime
Upon completion of this report process you will:
- See the words: "Your online police report has been submitted" showing that your police report is complete.
- Be given a police report case number.
- Be able to print a copy of the police report to keep for your records.
Questions on your report? Call (310) 349-2700, M-Thur from 7 AM to 4 PM and ask for the Detective Bureau
Please click on "Select Incident" below to begin (turn off any pop-up blocking software before filing the report).
Filing a Report at our station:
- Station lobby hours:
- 7:00 am to 8 pm (Mon - Thu)
- 7:00 am to 9 pm (Fri - Sun)
- Call (310) 349-2700 if you have any questions
Having an Officer come to you:
- Call our Dispatch center anytime
- (310) 675-4444
- We will try to respond as soon as possible. However, response times will vary depending on availability and priority of calls for service being handled at the time. There are also certain types of incidents where we will not respond and instead direct you to our online reporting or the Desk Officer will take the report over the phone.
How to get a copy of a Police Report
To obtain a police report you MUST show valid identification (a Driver’s License, State I.D., Passport, or DMV Printout). You MUST have a picture ID.
We do not charge for most reports.
- Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5 pm
- Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays.
Call (310) 349-2700 if you need to contact our Records Bureau.
All Traffic Accident reports (with a few exceptions) can be obtained by the online LexisNexis Ecrash site. See below for the details. If the report involves a fatality, juvenile, or an arrest, please contact the Records Bureau before to verify the availability of the report.
To better serve our citizens and insurance carriers in need of a TRAFFIC COLLISION REPORT, we have partnered up with LexisNexis and have implemented an online dissemination program to provide our collision reports securely, online.
You can save time because there's no need to stand in line to request a report at our station. If you need help locating your report online, please contact the eCrash Help Desk: 1.866.215.2771
- Before attempting to search for a copy of a collision report online, please allow a minimum of 14 business days from the date of the collision to allow the report to be reviewed and approved for release.
- Traffic collision reports resulting in a fatality, arrest, or a juvenile involved in an alleged crime, are not released online – please contact our Business Office to request these types of reports.
A convenience fee of $10.00 will be assessed for the ability to retrieve your report online. This fee is in addition to the cost of the report.
To use the eCrash Service click the icon button.